Saturday, August 31, 2013

1959 Reflection

      Looking back on my original prediction for this year, I can see that I was right. 1959 was dominated, chart-wise, by soft-pop ballads, as opposed to Rock And Roll and R&B. It just goes to show how what is a big #1 hit of a year may not necessarily be considered the best of that year in 50 years time. 

     One thing I noted after listening to all 15 number one songs from 1959, is that I have now forgotten how quite a few of the songs from this year sounded. There were certainly a few really good songs, two or so poor songs, but there were a whole bunch of songs that are just totally neutral for me. Maybe it's because they all blend together in a year full of dated soft-pop sugar and cheese. 

     Again, not that these more neutral songs are bad, but when you have a whole year dominated by that genre, it's hard to later go back and pick out the standout good, and bad songs. Luckily a select few songs standout and I've decided which are the best and worst. So, drumroll please...

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1959 - "Stagger Lee" - Lloyd Price. 

     This song came neck to neck with Elvis Presley's "A Big Hunk o' Love". However, while Elvis' song is indeed a great song, I just feel that the music, vocal performance, and overall tone of "Stagger Lee" came out on top. Again though, both songs are fantastic and stand the test of time better than most of the 1959 songs on the list. 

Worst #1 Hit Song Of 1959 - "The Three Bells" - The Browns. 

     Now where the best song of this year was nearly earmarked for "Stagger Lee", I had no idea which song would be the worst, as many of these songs were new to me. My first instinct was, "The Battle Of New Orleans", by Johnny Horton, and then much later, "Why" by Frankie Avalon. However, the former, while cheesy, at least didn't take itself seriously and was mildly humorous.  On the other hand, the latter song, while easily the most sugary on the list, was too INNOCENT to take seriously. I found in the end it was, "The Three Bells", that I enjoyed the least. The song is too serious in tone, it sounds way too conservative and old fashioned for my taste, and it's lethargically mellow tone I found way too dull. So that song gets my pick as the worst #1 hit song of 1959, and the worst #1 so far. 

     With that, we end 1959, and the 1950's entirely. We enter a new year and a new decade next. A decade in which music, pop culture, and the world, would forever change. We've still got a ways to go from "The Twist" to "Woodstock", so join me, as we start truckin' through one of the best decades of twentieth century music!

                          Coming Up Next - 1960 Overview. 

                              Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 





No comments:

Post a Comment