Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Song #4 - "It's All In The Game" - Tommy Edwards

#1 for weeks of September 29th, October 6, 13, 20, 27th, and November 3rd, 1958. 

     The first song on this list I recognize. it is also a prime example of the syrupy ballads I've been knocking in favor of rock and roll. The funny thing is, I don't hate this song. Really, I expected to knock this song quite a lot, so I'm a bit surprised that my opinion of it isn't as bad. 

     Alright, don't get me wrong, the arrangement is downright lethargic at times and the backing vocals really make the song sound dated. However, Tommy Edwards' lead vocal is what saves the song for me. It has a nice R&B sound to it unlike other ballad singers of the time, and I certainly prefer a ballad with an R&B tinge to one that has a country or soft pop tinge. 

     I was really surprised to see that this song's basic arrangement goes back to 1911, and one of the 2 co-credited writers is Charles Dawes, aka President Coolidge's vice president. So this song is the ONLY #1 hit song that has a co-commander in chief credited as songwriter!

     Again though, the song hasn't aged that well, and it's relevance is more one of nostalgia. However, I could easily see it being a song on a romantic compilation album due to its innocent lover-type lyrics, and gentle melody. 

Final Verdict - Undeniably a very dated and sometimes too mellow song for my taste. Tommy Edwards' lead vocal sounds really unique and special though and saves the song. so if you are having a quiet night, or you're trying to romanticize the mood, put this on your stereo. 

         Coming Up Next - "It's Only Make Believe" By Conway Twitty. 

                       Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 

No comments:

Post a Comment