Tuesday, December 17, 2013

1966 Reflection

     Well, my prediction was correct: 1966 turned out to be one of the greatest years in terms of #1 pop hits. Aside from a few duds or slightly weaker tracks, the good far outweighed the bad. There was almost no reason for me to have to even nitpick as so many songs were nearly flawless. 

     There were a couple of notable songs and singles from 1966 that I feel were far superior than some of the #1's. However, we must again remember that just because a song reached #1 doesn't mean it's one of the best. Time has certainly shown that songs like "Eleanor Rigby", "Eight Miles High", and "God Only Knows" are among the finest songs ever recorded, yet none of those three hit #1.

     This was also one of the easiest years to determine a best/worst #1 hit. This was primarily because the absolute best and worst song are so much outstandingly greater/worse than the remaining tunes from '66. So, without any further suspense...

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1966 - "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys. 

     "Big surprise", you're probably saying. Of course, the fact that I wrote a short story-sized review of it and examined each section of the song in great detail should also have given it away. 

     Honorable mention goes to "The Sound Of Silence", "Paint It, Black", "Paperback Writer" and "Reach Out I'll Be There". In fact, all but maybe three of the songs I reviewed from 1966 could be honorable mentions. However, "Good Vibrations" is considered the best in my opinion because it was so much more innovative and daring than any other pop song in 1966. 

Worst #1 Hit Song Of 1966  - "Winchester Cathedral" - The New Vaudeville Band. 

     It was either going to be this or "The Ballad Of The Green Berets" that would be given the worst song of '66 award. When I re-listened to both songs, I found that I could tolerate "Green Berets" a little bit more than I could tolerate another listen of "Winchester Cathedral". "Green Berets" may be a way too easy-listening ballad that's also too warlike for my taste, but at least it has a decent melody and singer. 

     "Winchester Cathedral", on the other hand, is extremely easy-listening and also quite corny. The vocals are not appealing and the melody is rather trite. I'm still baffled that the 1967 Grammy awards committee chose this song as the best Rock and Roll number over "Good Vibrations". Well, it's almost 47 years later, but I feel the need to unofficially revoke the award give it to its rightful owner - Brian Wilson. 



     So brace yourself as we move out of the metamorphic melting pot of 1966, and into the technicolor dreamscape that is 1967. If you thought that the British Invasion changed the face of pop music, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. And if you thought that the quality of #1 singles couldn't get any better, prepare yourself to be pleasantly surprised...

                              Coming Up Next - 1967 Overview. 

Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock, and I'll see you all not only in '67, but also in a brand new year - 2014. I'd like to thank everyone who has stuck with me since I've started this blog back in August. Have a happy holidays and a very happy new year. Until then, keep on rockin' - 

No comments:

Post a Comment