Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Song #156 - "The Ballad Of The Green Berets" - Barry Sadler

Recorded - December 18, 1965

Released - January 1966

#1 for weeks of March 5, 12, 19, 26, and April 2, 1966.

     If you recall in my review of Barry McGuire's anti-war folk tune "Eve Of Destruction", I mentioned how there were several response records from the more conservative music scene. These records range from sneering and condescending to more laid back and gentle. One song from the latter category managed to reach #1 for a whopping five weeks in 1966. That being Staff Sargent Barry Sadler's self-written "The Ballad Of The Green Berets". 

     I'll start off by saying that, despite any subsequent criticisms I make about this song, I am in no way meaning to insult the men and woman who have and continue to serve in the armed forces. With that being said, this isn't one of my favorite songs. In fact, I'd consider it one of the weakest #1 hits of the 1960's. 

     Now, I understand SSgt Sadler's intentions - To record a patriotic song honoring the troops. However, the song comes across as rather vapid. Musically, it is the same eight bar progression repeated over and over again. While there are some extra instruments added later, these are overshadowed by the incredibly dated and overly-serious sounding backing vocals. 

     Any positives? Well, I don't have any problem with Barry's singing voice in this song. It's not anything remarkable, but he could at least carry a tune. Yet, just like "Dominique" by The Singing Nun, I really feel like "Green Berets" was meant for more of a niche market and close friends only. The fact that such an overly serious and dated sounding song occupied the charts for so long, and kept a more cheerful and then-current song like "California Dreaming" off the charts is unbelievable. 

     There really would be no other time during the Vietnam War that "Green Berets" would have been accepted by the pop market. Only during this brief period from late 1965-early 1966, before that war became widely unpopular, would this song have been championed in the charts. Barry Sadler would have troubled later years when he shot and killed singer Lee Emerson Bellamy in 1978 over a dispute. 

     Sadly, we'll never know whether this killing was justified or not as Sadler himself was shot and later died of injuries in 1989. "Green Berets" remains not only his one and only hit, but the song people most identify him with. Since he followed his big hit with a singing career, I imagine he later recorded far superior songs. "Green Berets", however, is not one of them. 

Final Verdict - "Ballad Of The Green Berets" is a song that doesn't belong in the pop charts. It is an extremely dated sounding record that would have been better suited to be shared among friends, family, and servicemen. However, It has been quite a while that I've heard a song on this list I've disliked so I for one welcome the diversity. 

    Coming Up Next - "(You're My) Soul And Inspiration" by The Righteous Brothers.

                           Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock - 

No comments:

Post a Comment