Friday, February 7, 2014

Song #220 - "I Can't Get Next To You" - The Temptations

Recorded - June 23, 24, 27 and 30 & July 2 and 3, 1969. 

Released - July 30, 1969

#1 for weeks of October 18 and 25, 1969. 

     It's amazing how much a band's sound can change after the loss of a key member. In 1968, that's exactly what happened with The Temptations as they fired David Ruffin. When you fire a band member who sang lead on some of your biggest hits, how can you manage to keep more hits coming? In the case of The Temptations, they added singer Dennis Edwards to their lineup, who had a similar vocal timbre as Ruffin. Second, they completely changed their sound from classic Motown R&B to psychedelic soul. 

     The first single released under this new sound was "Cloud Nine". This song features a funky rhythm, muted staccato guitars, and the group trading lead vocals. It was a radical departure, but it clicked with the public, reaching an impressive #6 on the pop charts. The Temptations continued this psychedelic soul sound through 1969, culminating with "I Can't Get Next To You". As luck would have it, this song became their next #1 hit. 

     If you have heard "Cloud Nine" before, then "I Can't Next To You" seems like a natural evolution. The rhythm is a dancable groove, but more in a funk sense than a proto-disco one. The most prominent instrumentation is the numerous funky guitar parts as well as piano, which comes across as a rhythm instrument most of the time. 

     The most noteworthy aspect of "I Can't Get Next To You" is the trading of lead vocals. New member Dennis Edwards is featured the most, and also starts off the song. This is followed by Melvin Franklin's deep bass voice, then Eddie Kendricks' falsetto, then finally Paul Williams' smoky baritone. Even group leader and "Tenor in the middle" Otis Williams gets to sing during the final verse section with "I can make the seasons change, just by waving my hand". I feel this trading off lead vocals adds to the enjoyment factor of the song as you get to hear all five voices showcased both solo and together. 

     Due in part to the success of "I Can't Get Next To You", The Temptations continued in this psychedelic soul style with "Psychedelic Shack" and the more topical "Ball Of Confusion". By late 1970, certain band members sought a return to their old sound. When we get to 1971 on this blog, you'll hear all about how this turned out...

Final Verdict - While I personally prefer the earlier sound of the Temptations, I still find "I Can't Next To You" to be highly enjoyable. It has a catchy groove, great guitar playing and of course, the group trading off lead vocals. I can certainly see why it charted so high as it shows just how much R&B music had evolved. Give it a spin and hear for yourself. 

                 Coming Up Next - "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis Presley. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock and I'm on Cloud 9 when I listen to The Temptations - 

No comments:

Post a Comment