Sunday, February 16, 2014

Song #229 - "I Want You Back" - The Jackson Five

Recorded - August - early Autumn, 1969

Released - October 7, 1969

#1 for week of January 31, 1970. 

     There is but a fine dividing line between the "Classic 1960's Motown", and the Motown from the 1970's through today. In terms of the corporate side of this "Line", Motown switched their primary recording premises from Detroit to Los Angeles. Second, a four member songwriting conglomerate called "The Corporation", was formed, with Berry Gordy being one of the four. The very first song the corporation wrote was, "I Want You Back". It was soon given to a then up and coming singing quintet - The Jackson Five. 

     The idea of a family singing group was nothing new. The Cowsills, The Osmonds, and 4/5ths of the original Beach Boys lineup were all family groups. What made the Jackson Five different was that their music was more grounded in R&B and funk as opposed to pure pop. I've often seen the Jackson Five referred to as "Bubblegum". Yet when you compare songs like the funky "I Want You Back" to the pure poppy "Sugar, Sugar", the difference is like night and day. 

     Musically, "I Want You Back" is a funky groove, which features an abundance of staccato guitars and piano at the front of the mix. To once again lay rest to the common claim that "I Want You Back" is bubblegum, the song is musically quite complex. Just check out that intricate bass-line which runs throughout the piece, not to mention the equally complex vocal arrangement. Speaking of which...

     "I Want You Back" marks the lead vocal debut of Michael Jackson. The idea of a hit single being sung by a ten year old would normally raise a few eyebrows among more serious music fans. Yet even at this young age, Michael's vocal performance is a force to be reckoned with. He sings "I Want You Back" with an abundance of energy and gusto. I imagine few at the time doubted that this kid would go places. 

     So while "I Want You Back" may have signaled a goodbye to the Motown of old, the song certainly showed that the Motown of the future was full of promise and talent. The Jackson Five would have quite a few major hits, and their next one just so happened to top the charts later in the year. I think you know what that means...

Final Verdict - With a funky and musically tight backing track, an abundance of musical and vocal hooks, and an energetic and strong vocal by Michael Jackson, "I Want You Back" certainly earned its place on this blog. I'd go as far as to say it was a deserved #1 pop hit. It's a classic later-period Motown single and it foreshadowed the "Thrilling" greatness to come. 

                   Coming Up Next - "Venus" by Shocking Blue. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock, and I want you back...for my next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment