Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Song #247 - "I'll Be There" - The Jackson Five

Recorded - June 1970

Released - August 28, 1970

#1 for weeks of October 17, 24 and 31 & November 7 and 14, 1970. 

     The fourth and last Jackson Five #1 is not only their most successful hit, but the most successful single, period, from Motown Records. It's funny, as I'm a self-confessed rocker, yet I've had a tendency to favor the ballads of bands known for uptempo material. "I'll Be There" certainly is among the finest songs The Jackson Five produced. 

     "I'll Be There" sounds radically different than the Jackson Five's previous hits. The song opens with a baroque-sounding harpsichord and the music remains restrained throughout the entire performance. Melody-wise, I've found the song to be a bit reminiscent of The Everly Brothers' "Let It Be Me". This is probably just a coincidence, but the similarities are certainly there. 

     Michael takes much of the lead vocal duties, and gives what I'd consider to be the finest pre-pubescent vocal performance of his career. Brother Jermaine Jackson appears on lead during the song's bridge and provides a nice deeper-voiced contrast between Michael's higher voice. The song's final chorus, where the Jackson Five sing "I'll Be There" in rich harmony is my favorite part of the song. It's hard not to want to sing along during this finale. 

     After the success of "I'll Be There", The Jacksons continued producing the same mix of uptempo and mellow poppier soul numbers that had secured them four #1's. But by 1972, the brothers, and especially Michael sought a more mature and less bubblegum direction. Ultimately, it would be Michael that would benefit from this change the most, and how!

Final Verdict - "I'll Be There" was a risky single choice that paid off handsomely in the long run. Five weeks at the top is quite an accomplishment, especially when your lead singer is barely 12 years old. The song features a pleasant, though not groundbreaking, music arrangement, as well as great vocals. Compared to other slower songs from the time period, "I'll Be There" has a timeless quality to it. Thus, the song will still be relevant for many years to come. 

          Coming Up Next - "I Think I Love You" by The Partridge Family. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock, and whenever you need someone to review an album or song, just call my name and i'll be there - 

No comments:

Post a Comment