Sunday, March 23, 2014

1971 Reflection

     1971 proved to be an interesting year. Even though no glam rock songs managed to top the charts in 1971, the genre's ideals of "Standing out above the rest" certainly held through for many of the top songs. Many of the songs reviewed truly had their own unique sound. 

     Obviously, there is more to 1971 than just pop songs. This was a phenomenal year for progressive rock, early heavy metal, jazz-rock, and jam bands, to name a few genres. Of course, I am following the AM radio charts for this blog and naturally, much of these songs were too complex for what was in reality "The casual listener's radio". 

     Out of all the songs reviewed from this year, there were quite a few strong contenders for top song, and a few notably horrid ones as well. Let's start with the true top of the pops...

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1971 - "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart. 

     This was a tough choice, a very tough one indeed. About half of the songs reviewed from this year could have been chosen as the best. Naturally, I had to narrow my choices down. The full list of songs I eventually considered is - "Me And Bobby McGee", "Just My Imagination", "It's Too Late", "I Feel The Earth Move", and "Maggie May". 

     I decided to eliminate from the list the first two of those five, as they weren't written by their respective singers. I know that may seem like a cop-out, but I truly feel that in order for a song to be considered the best of one of the most creative music years, it has to come from the singer's own pen and paper. 

     So what made me chose "Maggie May" over the two Carole King selections? It was the lyrics and the music. The lyrics of "Maggie May" tell a story, and they are based on real life experiences that Rod faced. This adds a high amount of emotional resonance to the piece, which is a must for artistic music. 

     Finally, I just find the blend of instruments in "Maggie May" to be more diverse and unique-sounding. As I'm a very indecisive man, I'm sure I'll later change my mind. Either way, you can consider the two Carole King songs to be VERY close runners up. 

Worst #1 Hit Song Of 1971 - "Go Away Little Girl" by Donny Osmond. 

     Like this was even a contest! Only "Knock Three Times" and "One Bad Apple" came across as possible candidates for the worst #1 song of the year. I don't even need to go into detail as to why "Go Away Little Girl" is the worst of the worst. It is a nearly unlistenable, sappy, and screechy cover of an already mediocre song. It is a mistake, that should never have even left the recording studio. I'd rather listen to a marathon of "Everything Is Wonderful" and "Sugar, Sugar" than listen to more than 20 seconds of "Go Away Little Girl". 


Join me next month as we take on one of music's finest years. Progressive and glam rock reached their peaks, and soul music became smoother and groovier. As for pop music...we're in for a few surprises, both good and bad. We're going to get "Close To The Edge" and face the spiders from Mars. Let's pack our bags tonight...preflight, and take a walk on the wild side... back to 1972!

First Up For 1972 - "American Pie" by Don McLean. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock and I'll see you in '72!

No comments:

Post a Comment