Sunday, March 23, 2014

Song #271 - "Brand New Key" - Melanie

Recorded - July 1971

Released - October 1971

#1 for weeks of December 25, 1971 & January 1 and 8, 1972.

     We end 1971 with a rather unusual hit record. It's a song that, until a year or so ago, I had never before heard in my life. In fact, some of my younger views might be scratching their heads just as much. Do we have a buried gem on our hands, or a song that's best left buried under rubble? Well, for the first time on this blog, I'm not quite sure. Although I'm getting ahead of myself... Let's dial back a few years, shall we?

     Melanie is the stage name for New York-based folk singer Melanie Safka. In 1967, she released her first recorded work, and she found enough success by 1969 that she got a chance to perform at Woodstock. Out of this experience, she wrote the powerful folk rock number "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)". This song showcased her wide vocal range as well as her rather mystical songwriting skills. 

     Yet, there was another side to Melanie: That of a vintage pop singer. This is evidenced not only in her song "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma" but also her only #1 pop hit, "Brand New Key". When you compare "Lay Down" to "Brand New Key", the latter sounds worlds away from the hippie dreamscape she painted in "Lay Down". "Brand New Key" managed to alienate much of her earlier audience, while at the same time getting her recognition on the pop charts. 

     I'm really not sure what to make of "Brand New Key". The song can't really be pigeonholed into one genre. Jug band polka pop...perhaps?? The overall sound is more novelty than sincere and deep. It is as if Mungo Jerry's "In The Summertime" got transported back to the 1930's, and reinterpreted by a vaudeville band from that time period. 

     Where I'm really divided is Melanie's vocal performance. She does some rather interesting vocals on the song's chorus, sounding like a cross between talk-singing and borderline yodeling. Either this is a great vocal and I just haven't let it sink in, or it's a less-than-average song and It's just a guilty pleasure. I'll give the song credit, it continues the reoccurring trend of 1971 which is that many pop songs have their own unique sound. 

Final Verdict - I'm still not sure whether I truly like "Brand New Key" or not. No matter the verdict, I'd still rank "Lay Down" as a far superior song. "Brand New Key" has a unique sound and one of a kind vocals, but it just comes across as a bit too novelty much of the time. What's your opinion on this tune? 

Coming Up Next - 1971 Reflection. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock and I've got a brand new key - 

No comments:

Post a Comment