Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Song #276 - "A Horse With No Name" - America

Recorded - late 1971

Released - December, 1971 (UK), January 12, 1972 (US)

#1 for weeks of March 25 & April 1 and 8, 1972. 

     Next up is a most unusual US #1 Pop hit. We have a band called "America" who, despite their name, were all born in England. Sound-wise, America could be considered part of the California folk/rock scene that brought us Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young. Speaking of Neil Young, Dewey Bunnell: the lead singer of America, sounded almost uncannily like Neil. This is demonstrated full force on America's first #1 hit - "A Horse With No Name". 

     For those who haven't had a chance to listen to "A Horse With No Name", a quick Google search will bring up several articles and songlists that chastise the tune. I've even seen the song placed rather high in "Worst song ever" lists. Really? I'd hardly consider this to be a bad song, let alone one of the worst of all time. However, is the song really any good? Let's find out...

     Musically, "A Horse With No Name" sounds firmly dated to the late 1960's/early 1970's folk rock era. There is an abundance of acoustic guitars, intricate three part harmonies, and an overall laid-back atmosphere. I honestly consider this song to be delightful in terms of the music and vocal arrangement. It reminds me of lazing away by a woodsy hillside during a mild summer's day. 

     Of course, I'd be ignoring the elephant in the room if I didn't bring up the main point of contention that most critics have - The lyrics. While I get the overall "Stranded in the desert" theme the band was going for, the song comes across as in dire need of lyrical revision. For example, there's the infamous "Plants, and birds, and rocks, and things". "Things!?" Really, America? I do feel, however, that most of the critics are a bit unduly harsh on the song. Just because it has some poor lyric choices doesn't make it a candidate for worst song of all time. 

     Yet, when you put these rather elementary lyrics on the back burner of your mind, the rest of the song gets a bigger chance to shine. Upon my first listen to this song around 15 years ago, I barely paid any attention to the lyrics as I was too entranced by the music and vocal track. In other words, it was a perfect example of an unbiased listen, which is what I strive for on this blog. 

Final Verdict - With some major lyrical revisions, "A Horse With No Name" could have been a minor classic, or at least a solid period piece. As it stands, it is a flawed yet hauntingly serene example of early 1970's folk-rock. If you're a fan of that style of music, give the song a spin. Fans of harder-edged or more cynically-themed music are probably better off skipping this one.

Coming Up Next - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock and I review songs, and albums, and bands, and things - 

No comments:

Post a Comment