Monday, April 14, 2014

Song #281 - "Song Sung Blue" - Neil Diamond

Recorded - 1972

Released - April 1972

#1 for week of July 1, 1972. 

     When we last left Neil Diamond, he had secured his first #1 pop hit with "Cracklin' Rosie" from 1970. For the next two years, he straddled the upper reaches of the pop charts, even getting his, "I Am...I Said" to chart at a respectable #4. Neil's first single release of 1972 was his own composition, "Song Sung Blue". It would be Neil's last #1 for six years. 

     Previously, I was unfamiliar with "Song Sung Blue". Compared to some of Neil's past hits from the 1960's, the song has a far more Adult Contemporary feel to it. Add with this a heavy country-tinge and already, I can say it's not my style. On top of this highly easy-listening melody, there is a sweet string part and some rather twee backing vocals. It reminds me of some of the early 1960's soft pop hits, and that's not a good thing. 

     I will give the song credit for being a song sung well, by Neil at least. Lyrically, it's not too bad either. I also find the electric organ and bass-led intro to be enjoyable to hear. Too bad these two parts are understated as the song progresses. Perhaps a version without the strings and MOR backing vocalists would be an improvement? 

     "Song Sung Blue" just comes off to me as a foreshadowing of Neil's even more MOR material from the late '70's. One of these later period songs happened to be his final #1 pop hit. So once we get to 1978, we'll see if he managed to bring back that original spark from his earlier hits, or if he went even mellower.

Final Verdict - I feel that"Song Sung Blue" overdoes it on the easy-listening scale. When compared to some of Neil's more upbeat and more musically dynamic hits such as "Solitary Man", "Song Sung Blue" sounds like an anti-climax. If softer music is your cup of tea, you might find this song to your liking. Me? I'll stick with my "Sweet Carolines" and "Cherry, Cherrys". 

Coming Up Next - "Lean On Me" by Bill Withers. 


Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock and my song is sung blue - 

No comments:

Post a Comment