Friday, April 25, 2014

Song #289 - "I Can See Clearly Now" - Johnny Nash

Recorded - winter or spring 1972

Released - June 2, 1972 (UK), July 19, 1972 (US)

#1 for weeks of November 4, 11, 18 and 25, 1972. 

     Reggae music has occasionally popped up during my various 1972 song reviews. Well, we now have a song and an artist who are closely tied to the genre. Although his biggest hit identifies him with the 1970's, Johnny Nash began his music career as early as the late 1950's. By the early 1970's, he was living and recording in England, hence the reason why a UK release date is listed first. The biggest fruit of this English soujourn? "I Can See Clearly Now". But is this song any good, and does it still hold up today?

     First off, Johnny wrote "I Can See Clearly Now" himself, that's an automatic gold star in my eyes. Second, the lyrics hit that happy balance between accessible and well-written. Finally, the song goes from a mellow, almost easy-listening tune to a Woodstock worthy anthem in less than three minutes. Thus, in my eyes, the song is immune to a "Skip" rating. 

     Although the amount of reggae influence in the song is limited to the drum rhythm and relatively upbeat lyrics, there are still plenty of musical wonders to behold. . The music can be considered slightly dated due to the liberal use of Moog Synthesizers towards the end. However, I feel this adds to the "Sunshine" feel of the song. I'd also consider Johnny's vocals to be reminiscent of the singer/songwriters of the era such as Carole King and Paul Simon.

     Johnny never managed to follow up the massive success of "I Can See Clearly Now". The highest charting pop hit he would achieve afterwards only reached #77. Although Johnny could be considered a lowly one hit wonder, the fact that he recorded with the Wailers and had Jimmy Cliff cover his biggest hit is quite an accomplishment. 

Final Verdict - "I Can See Clearly Now" may come off as just a wee-bit dated, yet the lyrics still hold up to this day. The song is a winner in my eyes because it builds in complexity as it goes on, and Johnny Nash's vocals are full of life and energy. In terms of pop music, this is certainly a highlight of the year. 

Coming Up Next - "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" by The Temptations. 

Until Next Time, I'm Dr. Rock, and I'm hoping tomorrow is gonna be a bright sunny day -

No comments:

Post a Comment