Wednesday, November 13, 2013

1964 Reflection

     For the first time on this blog, I can truly say that the year I'm reflecting on was just about perfect in terms of #1 hits. 1964 is the first year where there was no awful or hideously outdated songs that topped the US Hot 100. From the numerous Beatles hits to classic Motown, it was nearly all perfect. The best part is, 1965 would be even better!

     In a year dominated by British rock and American R&B hits, many other American music styles were a bit displaced, chart-wise. Many of the artists who dominated the charts for the previous five years are nowhere to be found. The age of self-contained bands and progressive artists was finally upon us. 

     Naturally, picking the best and worst of this year was like pulling teeth. I've decided to never do tie votes, so only one can win the coveted position of best. Even picking the weakest song was tricky as you'll soon find out. So, with out any further adieu - 

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1964 - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles. 

     You have no idea how tough it was for me to place this as my top song. Even though The Beatles are my favorite band, I wanted to fairly rank all of the singers and artists who hit #1. The other two choices, both of which were just nano meters away from being picked as the best are "Oh, Pretty Woman" and to a lesser extent, "House Of The Rising Sun". 

     "Oh, Pretty Woman" is such a fantastic song, and it is sung by someone who easily was among the top vocalists of all time. It also has an equally iconic guitar riff."I Want To Hold Your Hand" features a tight self-contained band who completely wrote and played the song themselves. It is, as previously mentioned, one big hook all the way through. Plus, the combined vocals of John Lennon and Paul McCartney are irreplaceable. 

     So why I finally decide on "I Want To Hold Your Hand"? Because, it changed music and cultural history when it became a hit. As wonderful a song as "Oh, Pretty Woman" is, it never changed pop music history when it was released. It is because of this that I, just barely, vote "I Want To Hold Your Hand" as the best US #1 of 1964...But don't get me wrong, "Oh, Pretty Woman" is a fantastic song as well. 

Weakest #1 Hit Song Of 1964  - "There! I've Said It Again" - Bobby Vinton. 

     Believe it or not, this was an equally tough decision as there were no truly bad or even completely mediocre #1 songs from 1964. I went through all of the songs deciding which ones were the least innovative, and which ones I get sick of hearing over and over again first. I came up with three possibilities  "There! I've Said It Again", "Leader Of The Pack", and "Ringo". 

     "Leader Of The Pack" was almost picked as the weakest mostly because of its extreme melodramatic nature. The song also gets a bit tiresome when you hear it three times in a row. "Ringo" was considered for similar reasons: It gets quite campy the more you listen to it. However, I didn't even remotely dislike either of these two songs. 

     "There! I've Said It Again" was voted the weakest because, in addition to being lyrically a bit too sugary and a bit behind the times, listening to it more than once proved to be progressively more unenjoyable. However, I do not dislike the tune, and I do acknowledge that Bobby Vinton's other #1 from this year, "Mr. Lonely", is a major improvement in every way. So, just by process of elimination, I consider "There! I've Said It Again" to be the weakest #1 of 1964. 

     

     So join me in a short while as we enter one of, if not the best years of pop music history. A year where even the worst songs are some of the most iconic and treasured of all time. And the best songs? among the best music ever recorded by humankind. 

                            Coming Up Next - 1965 Overview. 

                  Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock, See you in '65!

No comments:

Post a Comment