Saturday, November 23, 2013

Song #141 - "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" - Herman's Hermits

Recorded - 1965

Released - May 1965 (US), June 1965 (UK)

#1 for week of August 7, 1965. 

     The final American #1 of Herman's Hermits was another of their songs that all of the band members have subsequently said they don't care for. While Herman's Hermits may be best know today for these more novelty songs, they actually have a bit of an under-appreciated back catalog. For example, "Listen People" predates the sound of Tommy James And The Shondells, and 1967's "Moonshine Man" is not only the closest they got to psychedelia, it's also a fine sounding song in its own merit. 

     However, in 1965, hot on the tails of their first US smash hit, "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter", a more lighthearted and music-hall inspired tune was released - "I'm Henry VIII, I Am". This song became their second and final #1 here in the United States. Well, sorry once again to any of you anti-Herman's Hermits people out there, but I happen to enjoy this song of theirs as well. 

     The song originated in 1911 as a British music hall tune. Obviously, "I'm Henry VIII..." isn't even remotely lyrically resonant. In fact, Herman's Hermits' version is the same chorus repeated over and over again. It's very musically simplistic with absolutely no seriousness or pretentiousness. Musically, much of the song is very grounded in the early British Invasion sound, despite the fact that other British bands had moved well past this sound. Yet, underneath the admitingly banal lyrics lies a decent guitar solo by their lead guitarist Derek Leckenby. 

     I for one actually appreciate the simplicity and non-pretentiousness of this song. It's silly, it's pure novelty, but unless you are the type of person who only listens to serious music, you're sure to at least smile, and at most sing along whenever this song is played. 

Final Verdict - I'd call this song a guilty pleasure, if not for the fact that I honestly enjoy listening to it with no shame whatsoever. Would I say it was one of the best songs produced in 1965? Definitely not. But that doesn't deter me from the fact that it's catchy and always manages to cheer me up when I hear it. Hopefully it will for you too. 

               Coming Up Next - "I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher. 

                     Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock the 1st I am - 

No comments:

Post a Comment