Saturday, November 9, 2013

Song #118 - "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison

Recorded - August 1, 1964

Released - August, 1964

#1 for weeks of September 26 and October 3 and 10, 1964. 

     The big one, the song that even though I've heard countless times over the years I absolutely relish the idea of hearing over and over again for the purpose of this review. One of my biggest regrets for this blog so far is that I didn't vote Roy Orbison's first #1 hit "Running Scared" as the best song of 1961. You can consider that a posthumous tie for first place. However, I have no doubt in my mind that "Oh, Pretty Woman" will be one of, if not, the best #1 of 1964. Somehow, everything works in this song, and it works in magnificent ways. 

     First off, the music: In particular, that iconic bassline. Just the guitar playing that line alongside the snare drum hits is enough to get your attention. But then the actual bass guitar enters with that same part, quickly picking up in volume and well, if you're listening to that via headphones, you're in for a treat. It's a bassline that is repeated in strategic places throughout the song and you never get sick of it. 

     There is also a clever key change which occurs in the bridge and features some, almost jazzy, piano playing. Finally, there's the iconic vocals by one of, if not the greatest singer of all time. We even get him harmonizing with himself several times throughout the song. There is so much emotion in his vocal performance that you believe every word he sings. You absolutely believe that he cares about this "Pretty Woman". 

Final Verdict - I could go on and on gushing praise about everything that is contained in this song, but then I'd just be repeating myself. Simply put, "Oh, Pretty Woman" is perfectly written, performed, and sung. An A+ in my book, and a song that you absolutely must own. 

Coming Up Next - "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann. 

Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock, and after listening to a classic song like that, I can't think of a witty catchphrase. 


No comments:

Post a Comment