Friday, October 11, 2013

1962 Reflection

     Despite me stating in the overview that this was the year that Motown became a serious pop chart contender and surf music started to make waves, neither genre managed to have a #1 hit this year. Actually, I found 1961 more interesting in terms of #1 hits due to there being more of a divide between best and worst. 

     There were no absolutely wretched songs in 1962 and yet, there were no songs I'd consider among the top 100 or so of all time. With that being said, there were quite a few good songs from this year and only a couple that I wouldn't want to hear again. Many of the good songs were based in R&B while the weaker songs were all easy-listening symphonic-pop 

     So although it was hard to determine which songs were exceptions to the year in terms of best and worst, I think I have got it figured out - 

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1962 - "Telstar" - The Tornadoes. 

     Talk about an underdog being declared the winner. It was literally not until the very last entry for 1962 that I could determine which song was superior, and it turns out to be a song many people probably aren't familiar with. The other great songs that came close to being chosen were: "Hey! Baby", "The Loco-Motion", "Sherry", and "He's A Rebel". 

     However, what "Telstar" does that those four songs don't is sound unique and years ahead of its time. Since the song on its own has a great melody and some unexpected instrumentation, it already would have been guaranteed a vote by me for best song. Needless to say, I find its sheer uniqueness to be its strong point and because of that, I declare "Telstar" the best US #1 of 1962. 

Worst #1 Hit Song Of 1962 - "Roses Are Red (My Love)" - Bobby Vinton. 

     This was a whole lot easier to decide as there were only two songs from this year I didn't care for. The other song if you're curious is "Johnny Angel". However, I almost felt sorry for bashing Shelley Fabares' song due to the sheer innocence she portrays. It was incredibly sugary, but it did a good job at being sugary. I just didn't particularly care for it. 

     "Roses Are Red", on the other hand, was not only very sugary but way too cheesy for me to take even semi-seriously. It's lyrically sappy, it has some really embarrassingly dated backing vocals, and just comes across as a bore for me to sit through three times. It's not the worst of the worst so far, but it's certainly the weakest of the year. 


     Now as we move closer to the period in music where I know a whole lot more about individual bands and artists, we slowly see many of these pre-British Invasion styles reach their creative and commercial peak...for better or worse. So join me soon as we tackle 1963, A year which went from surf classics and girl group greats to real-life tragedy and...singing nuns...

                 Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock - See you in '63!

No comments:

Post a Comment