Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Song #97 "My Boyfriend's Back" - The Angels

#1 for weeks of August 31 and September 7 and 14th, 1963. 

     "Da Doo Ron Ron", "He's So Fine" and "My Boyfriend's Back" are the three songs that usually first come to mind when listing 1960's girl group songs. (I'd put "Be My Baby" in a higher plain above them all). All three of these songs have a lot in common, for one they are all lyrically esoteric. If you weren't a teenage girl during that time period, you probably did not relate to these lyrics at all, and neither do I. However, what these songs also have in common is an extremely catchy and hook filled musical melody complete with talented vocalists. 

     The Angels were based around the same Tri-State area as The Four Seasons and released their first single in 1961, the sublime "'Til". Two years later, they struck it big with the song everybody knows them by today. "My Boyfriend's Back" differs from those previously listed songs in that it is the only one that's pure pop as opposed to R&B pop. 

     If you actually thought The Angels wrote this song, well you'd be very very wrong. The song was composed by the trio Feldman-Goldstein-Gotteher, who were anonymous until the mid 1960's when they formed a group called The Strangeloves and gave us "I Want Candy". They also wrote "Hang On Sloopy" and wrote a song for Ronnie Dio And The Prophets. Yes, that Ronnie James Dio!

     So in other words, we have a pop song, written by more than one outside source, all of whom were men, with an emphasis on radio play. Times haven't changed have they? By these accounts, I should hate this song, but I don't, not at all actually, here's why - 

     For one, if you want an example of how to use hooks to enhance a song, this tune is the poster child. The instrument-less spoken word intro, the handclap percussion throughout the song, the numerous "Hey-La's, and the staccato "Yeah's" after each phrase of the song. All of these elements no doubt helped the song chart at the top. The song even has a catchy bridge which is melodically the best part of the song in my opinion. 

     The version I've been most familiar with over the years was actually a re-recording, which I was dismayed to find out. Even though I'm usually adverse to the more poppy end of the 1960's and this song is a completely prefabricated tune with outside writers and all, I still kinda like it. A guilty pleasure perhaps?

Final Verdict - Underneath the song's lyrics, which I don't care for and can't relate to at all, this song has enough hooks and twists to keep you entertained. Try again though to seek out the original recording if you plan to hear it yourself. 

             Coming Up Next - "Blue Velvet" by Bobby Vinton. 

              Until Next Time - Hey La Hey La, Dr. Rock's Back -


No comments:

Post a Comment