Friday, October 4, 2013

Song #69 - "Good Luck Charm" - Elvis

#1 for weeks of April 21 and 28th, 1962. 

     Somehow this Elvis song slipped by me over the years. I am certainly familiar with his other 1962 hit "Return To Sender". Due to many of Elvis' previous hits being softer ballads, I thought that was what I was going to get with "Good Luck Charm". Not so much the case...

     This song is a return to his more rocking side, although his dangerous rockabilly edge he had in the 1950's is gone. John Lennon once said that Elvis was never the same musically when he came back from the army and that is certainly a good point. Although he could still rock in the 1960's and he had already recorded soft ballads in the 1950's such as "Love Me Tender". 

     In some ways, "Good Luck Charm" is similar to "Sender" and even reminds me musically of "Stuck On You. All three songs have the same bouncy rock rhythm with occasional stops and starts in the music. There are also some deep bass backing vocals which occur in strategic places throughout the tune. 

     Lyrically the song deals with Elvis considering the girl he wants to be his good luck charm. It's all a bit teen-idol in terms of lyrical content, but sung by Elvis, the song is very likable. Like I said, it's hard to find a bad Elvis song and this one's actually a good one. 

Final Verdict - Another good post-army Elvis song which showcases his trademark vocals in full force. Certainly worth a listen or more. 

                Coming Up Next - "Soldier Boy" by The Shirelles. 

   Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock and I'm looking for my own good luck charm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment