Thursday, October 3, 2013

Song #67 - "Don't Break The Heart That Loves You" - Connie Francis

#1 for week of March 31, 1962. 

     Connie goes full on symphonic country-pop for what would be her third #1 hit on Billboard's Hot 100. As mentioned many times before, I'm not partial to the genre for a number of reasons. With that being said, I would be doing the song an injustice to just write it off because it doesn't do anything for me. Let's see if there's a silver lining after all...

     First off, I must say I'm not a fan of the very Hollywood-pop sounding orchestra and backing vocals which occasional make their presence very well known in the song. They sound like they belong in a record from the 1940's, not one recorded in 1961. 

     Yet there is some good in this song. For one, I like the twangy guitar that can be heard just beneath the vocals throughout the entire song. Second, I like the way Connie sings most of the song in a dual harmony. I'm a sucker for vocal harmonies so that certainly helps the song sound appealing to me. Even the spoken word section actually fits the song and doesn't come across as a cheesy out of place vocal aside

     So when all is said and done, if you took out the orchestra and backing vocals, this song would actually be nearly flawless. It's still not my style, but thanks to those harmonies, I have something to enjoy when listening to the tune. 

Final Verdict - Not a song I would go out of my way to listen to. However, it has a nice vocal performance and if you are a fan of this genre, you will certainly appreciate a listen to it. 

            Coming Up Next - "Johnny Angel" by Shelley Fabares. 

           Until Next Time - Don't break the heart of Dr. Rock - 

No comments:

Post a Comment