Tuesday, September 10, 2013

1960 Reflection

     1960 proved to be a very even year in terms of which songs hit #1. There were undisputed classics, a select few songs that don't even deserve one listen, and a whole bunch of songs that fall in between. There was still an overabundance of soft pop ballads, although many of them were actually quite pleasing to listen to and didn't bore me like some of the ones from 1959. 

     One thing that's quite noticeable is that Rock And Roll, mainly 1950's style Rock, appears to be either totally gone, or it lacks the edge that it had just a few years before. No doubt due to events such as the Payola scandal and the diminished presence of several classic names in rock, the genre seemed to be playing it safe. 

     If you have been following my lists so far, it should come as no surprise which songs I consider the best and worst song to hit #1 in 1960. Then again, maybe you will be surprised at what I've chosen...

Best #1 Hit Song Of 1960 - "Georgia On My Mind" - Ray Charles. 

     Yep, no contest. I knew when I saw this song on the list that I was probably going to rank it as the best of the year. Again, since it had been a while since I heard the song, I purposely waited till the review came along to play it. If you've read the review (You have, haven't you?), you know how much of an impact the song made on me with those fresh listens. 
     Honorable mentions go to "Cathy's Clown", "Stuck On You", "Save The Last Dance For Me", and of course, "The Twist". All fantastic/classic songs, but "Georgia On My Mind" blew them all away. 

Worst #1 Hit Song Of 1960 - "Mr. Custer" - Larry Verne. 

     While the best #1 song was practically a given even before I started to review the year, the worst song proved to be more of a mystery at the start. While I didn't care for "Teen Angel", I wouldn't consider it a contender for the worst of the year. Then I got to "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", and due to its way too bubble-gummy and cutesy sound, I nearly ranked it as the worst. 
     However, then I heard "Mr. Custer" for the first time. At least "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" had a singer who sang in tune and a melody that was actually melodic. "Mr. Custer" is an out of tune, painfully unfunny, and very dated sounding novelty record that I did not enjoy listening to at all. Hence, it's the worst #1 song of 1960. 

     Now as we enter a new year, many new sounds emerge from the underground, and a creative period of pre-British Invasion music begins. I'm sure there will be lots of surprises, great songs, and bad songs. Either way, join me soon as I jump into 1961. 

                           Coming Up Next - 1961 Overview. 

                               Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment