Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Song #45 - "Calcutta" - Lawrence Welk

#1 for weeks of February 13 and 20th, 1961. 

     I have often said that sometimes a song's first impression might be misleading to how the song will actually sound as it progresses. Often times, a song starts out not to my liking but as I listen further, I find I really like it. Unfortunately, Lawrence Welk's cover of "Calcutta" is quite the opposite. 

     I was initially attracted to the song in the beginning. A heartbeat-like bass line with a subtle guitar part, some Latin percussion and most importantly, a really neat harpsichord part. Even the rather dated backing vocals were subdued. However, all good things must be spoiled, and oh boy were they!

     Suddenly at about 25 seconds in, the formerly subtle backing vocals started singing La La's in the most stereotypically easy listening style one could dream of. From that point on, my opinion of the song soured. The music melody, which was interesting in the beginning started to feel very repetitive and even the accordion part couldn't interest me. The more I heard those vocals pop in, the more I disliked the song. 

     Clearly this tune was meant for the older crowds, especially since Lawrence Welk was well into his 50's when he recorded it. Perhaps this song's melody would have been better suited if it was a surf instrumental. Unfortunately, those vocals just ruin any enjoyment of the song for me, and the song really turns into everything I dislike about easy listening pop. I'm really surprised that this was considered one of the biggest hits of the year.

Final Verdict - What was a decent melody is gradually tainted by the very light and fluffy vocal arrangement. Just goes to show how one simple addition can ruin a song for me. I'd say perhaps listen to the first 25 or so seconds but don't proceed any further!

               Coming Up Next - "Pony Time" by Chubby Checker. 

    Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock and I don't think I'll be revisiting Calcutta anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment