Sunday, September 8, 2013

Song #36 - "My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own" - Connie Francis

#1 for weeks of September 26th, and October 3rd, 1960. 

     Yet another returning artist, and another song that's totally new to me. Connie Francis previous graced this list with her rather Country-Poppy, but still very hook filled, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool". With "My Heart...", the Country element is even more heavily emphasized. Despite not being big on the genre, I find I prefer this new song to the first one. 

     For one, most of the song features Connie singing in dual harmony. Being a huge fan of vocal harmonies, this is a plus. Although she sings the song in a much more Country ballad style, no Country accents are used. There aren't as many vocal hooks in this song though, and it lacks the energy of "Everybody's Somebody's Fool". 

     Interestingly, there are nearly no stereotypical Country instruments such as steel guitars. The mainly acoustic guitar backing sounds more poppy than
Country. This pop element is enforced by the small amount of strings and horns. 


     When comparing the two songs, I feel that "My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own" comes a bit more on top perhaps due to the stronger sincerity in the vocals, and the fact that most of the song is sung in harmony. It's not really my style, but I can see how it was a hit as it is very middle of the road sounding.

Final Verdict - I think this song is the better of the two Connie Francis songs that have appeared on this list so far. However, neither of the two are styles that I'd usually listen to. Still, if you liked "Everybody's Somebody's Fool", or any of these early 1960's Country-flavored pop songs for that matter, you'll definitely appreciate "My Heart...". 

                   Coming Up Next - "Mr. Custer" by Larry Verne.

                              Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment