Monday, September 9, 2013

Song #40 - "Georgia On My Mind" - Ray Charles

#1 for week of November 14th, 1960. 

      When I look back on what I feel are the greatest songs I have reviewed so far, most of them range from pure Rock And Roll to more esoteric wonders. Still, maybe Rock And Roll isn't everybody's cup of tea and these songs may do nothing for them. 

     However, then there are the great tunes that transcend genre, and have an ethereal timeless quality to them that years from now will still be enjoyed again and again. Those attributes more than apply to Ray Charles' cover of Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell's 1930 standard "Georgia On My Mind". 

     It has actually been quite a while since I heard this song, and after one listen, I felt beyond moved emotionally. That is something that hasn't happened for years even among some of my favorite musicians and bands. What is it that makes this song so moving? I'll examine each layer of the music, as every part of this song together makes it a masterpiece. 

     First, the bottom layer, the absolutely timeless music arrangement. Just the right amount of instruments - a stand up bass that plays like a heartbeat, and a brush drum track that guides the listener along this journey. All complimented with Ray Charles' magnificent piano playing. 

     The next layer, the string section and backing vocals, which are equally timeless and sound almost dream-like. 

     Finally, there is the icing on the cake, and the most magnificent aspect, the late great Ray Charles' lead vocals. This is easily a candidate for one of the best vocal performances of all time. Full of passion, and sincere emotion. Whether Ray sings in a more gentle manner or adds power to that performance, it is enough to make one forget about everything that is troubling them, and focus only on the song. 

     Again, it's been awhile since I've been moved by a musical performance. I would rate this among Ray Charles' greatest vocal performances. In terms of every song reviewed so far, not only is it the best song, but I feel that even as I get to some of my favorite 1960's bands, this song will still be way up there. It's a great testament to an impeccably talented singer and piano player, who though he may be gone in person, is still with us in spirit through his musical legacy. 

Final Verdict - In a word, masterpiece. In a few words, one of the greatest recordings ever made. Brilliantly beautifully sung, thoughtfully moving musically, a timeless treasured classic. As close to musical nirvana as you will ever get. 

        Coming Up Next - "Stay" by Maurice Williams And The Zodiacs.

       Until Next Time - I'm Dr. Rock, and I've got Georgia On My Mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment