Monday, September 9, 2013

Song #39 - "I Want To Be Wanted" - Brenda Lee

#1 for week of October 24th, 1960. 

     I've already talked about Brenda Lee before back in review number 32 with "I'm Sorry". My opinion on her still stands in that her music isn't my usual style, but I'm nonetheless amazed that a mere 15 year old could sing like this. 

     "I Want To Be Wanted" manages to impress me even more due to the fact that Brenda reaches further into her vocal range, and the song is delivered with even more power and passion than "I'm Sorry" was. Even though Brenda didn't write this song, (Even back then, pop singers rarely wrote their own songs!), she sings with enough sincerity that she may as well have written it.

     I was also relieved that this time there was no corny spoken word section in the bridge. However, if I had to nitpick, the 1940's pop-sounding backing vocals, haven't aged well at all, and the song's instrument track is very much a sleepy symphonic ballad with a prominent string section among the regular band backing track.  

     However, taken for what it's worth, Brenda proves her vocals at least could stand the test of time. She was name-dropped in Golden Earring's 1973 hit, "Radar Love", and her earlier 1958 hit, the original recording of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree", has certainly become a holiday standard. 

Final Verdict - This is Brenda's best song on the list so far mainly due to the fact that she nails the vocal on it, which is especially impressive considering she was only a teenager. Early 1960's soft pop may not be my usual listening choice, but this song for the most part works well enough that you'll probably enjoy it too, especially if you love this style. 

            Coming Up Next - "Georgia On My Mind" by Ray Charles. 

                              Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 

No comments:

Post a Comment