Thursday, September 5, 2013

Song #30 - "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" - Connie Francis

#1 for weeks of June 27, and July 4th, 1960. 

     We go from a "Clown" to a "Fool" with entry #30 on this list. Connie Francis' music catalog, which is primarily traditional pop with a heavy emphasis on Country is all but alien to me. Only one song of hers, the more generally accessible, "Don't Ever Leave Me", is familiar to me. 

     However, I can't say I'm in a rush to listen to too much of her tunes, especially seeing how she was the antitheses of the counterculture in the late 1960's by proudly supporting Nixon and later Reagan. Some of her later work even included a positive response song to the dreadful, "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree". Regardless, certain sources say I should give her much earlier song, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" a shot, so I will. 

     Hey, the song ain't too bad. Really, the only mildly negative parts of the song would be the rather traditional poppy backing vocals, which date the song a bit. I feel Connie sings the song well, and has a unique singing voice. In particular, she provides some nice vocal hooks in the chorus. 

     Musically, there is a big mix of strummed banjos, which give the song some country flavor, and lots of organ, which gives the song a pop tinge. I like the use of chord changes in the song as well. Generally this style of music isn't what I gravitate towards. However, I will say that the song's more middle of the road feel helps give it a bit of universal appeal. 

     Connie Francis would end up living through quite a bit of tragedy in her life. She nearly lost her voice after surgery, survived a near fatal rape, and her brother was later killed. Despite all these hardships, she still has not only continued her music career but also has written an autobiography. So despite not being big on her music, she does deserve my respect for keeping active despite such unthinkable hardships.
      
Final Verdict - Fans of early 1960's pop will certainly love this song. Classic/hard rock fans probably won't get anything out of it. I can see its appeal, and it is nicely crafted, although it isn't a song I would play frequently. Give it a spin and decide for yourself. 

            Coming Up Next - "Alley Oop" by The Hollywood Argyles. 

                                   Until Next Time - Dr. Rock - 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment